Admission for next academic year will notified here
Applications are invited from eligible candidates for Master of Science (MSc) in Medical Laboratory Science and Technology, Department of Biomedical Science and Technology under the School of Biological Sciences for the academic year 2022-23 starting September 2022.
About the programme
To our knowledge, very few Institutes/Universities across the country offer such postgraduate programmes in medical laboratory technology (MLT), particularly in the Eastern part of India. Hence the urgency and importance of starting this programme in RKMVERI in the Department of Biomedical Science and Technology under the School of Biological Sciences which has already has a vibrant Research Unit called JIVAN (Jiva-Vijnan-Anweshan-Niketan), Centre for Research in Biological Sciences located at Ramakrishna Mission Seva Pratishthan Hospital, Kolkata, which is collaborating closely with the University’s Off-Campus at Narendrapur, Kolkata.
The first thing a doctor advises for any critical condition is pathological and laboratory tests for confirmation of the causative agent of disease or critical medical situation. Its importance can hardly be overemphasized. What with the diagnostic techniques becoming more and more automated and computerized, exposure to and training in digital diagnostic devices and high-ended sophisticated equipment has become a sine qua non for allied health services. M.Sc. Medical Laboratory Science and Technology programme will enable the students to directly land into laboratory technical jobs on successful completion of the programme. The Institutes mentioned below will be collaborating also to provide our students their expertise and state-of-the-art facilities for education and training.
Brief outline of the programme:
The first semester will be devoted to normalizing/homogenizing the students coming from various institutes besides refurbishing their knowledge in the field of medical laboratory technology (MLT) at the undergraduate/diploma level. During the second and the third semesters the students will receive specialized training in the collaborating institutes as mentioned, while the fourth semester will be devoted to projects/dissertation, etc. As in the case of the critical care technology programme, the University will try to provide internship for one more semester at the end of the fourth semester on completion of the M.Sc. programme, consistent with the availability of resources.
The following four Institutes with excellent medical laboratory facilities is collaborating with our University to provide our students their expertise and state-of-the-art facilities for education and training.
- Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute (CNCI), Kolkata, (for oncological critical care),
- Tata Medical Center, Kolkata, (for oncological critical care),
- Institute of Neurosciences Kolkata (IN-K) (for neuro critical care),
- Peerless Hospital and B.K. Roy Research Centre (for cardio-pulmonary critical care)
For programme details: Visit Academics page
Eligibility to Apply
Both male and female candidates having any of the following degree are eligible to apply.
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Technology (BMLT), OR
- BSc in Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT), OR
- BSc (Honours) in Microbiology or Biochemistry or Biotechnology, OR
- BSc (Honours) in any branch of Biological Science with Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology (DMLT) from any recognised University.
Minimum percentage of marks required is 50% in aggregate. However this requirement is relax-able for reserved categories as per the government rules. Students who are appearing or have appeared in the final year/semester exam and whose results are awaited may also apply.
The programme is offered in full-time mode.
- Online Admission Portal : https://isr.rkmvu.ac.in/admission
- New applicants have to first register on the Online Admission Portal, then login and fill up the online application form.
- After successfully submitting the application form, pay the application fee (INR 300.00) online from the same Portal. Link can be found under ‘Options’ next to the program name on the Dashboard.
- While filling up the online application-form attach the scanned copies of your passport size photo, mark-sheets and other applicable certificates/documents.
- Once Application-form is successfully submitted and application-fee is paid, Receipt (also Application-summary) will be available for download from the same Portal from the ‘Dashboard‘.
- Admit Card: will be available for download when / if the dates for Admission Test / Interview are published. check the Website / Admission Portal regularly for updates.
Last Date to apply: 30 Nov 2022
Admission and Course Fee
Admission process shall begin immediately after the announcement of results of the interview. The selected candidates willing to take admission may get admitted by paying the requisite fees. Fees structure is given on the page: Academic Fees Structure
Certificates to be submitted at the time of Admission
- Migration certificate from the Board/University in which candidate last studied.
- Medical/Health certificate from registered medical practitioner.
- Conduct certificate from the Head of the Institution last attended.
- Candidates after taking admission failing to attend the classes within the three days of the beginning of the session without the explicit permission from the authorities will run the risk of forfeiting their admission.
- Admission will be cancelled if the student does not produce his/her final semester/year mark sheets/certificate of B.Sc. within 10 days of publication of the results by the respective university.
- No hostel facility is available at present. However the students will be helped by the university to get the ‘paying guest’ facility in the vicinity of the university campus.
For any queries you may contact:
- Academic queries:
- Office: 033-2477 2020 and 033-2971 1624
- Mobile Number :
- For any technical query/issues (with online application, fee payment, etc.)
- Avishek Mondal (), Sourav Paul ()